Sunrise

Sunrise

26 October 2014

Some Perspective

Hi, readers! I apologize for the delay in posting. I also anticipate being a bit lax in posting during the upcoming month, too, because I'm about to undertake my first NaNoWriMo! And I think that most of my November free time to write will go towards that endeavor. :) Please harass me often to make sure I haven't been slacking on it!

Here's a little update on me:

I've just returned from a quick weekend conference to Napa, California, for my official first time on the West Coast! It was a workshop about running service-learning programs in the classroom, and filled me with lots of LGU flashbacks and memories. :) While the service program at our school is still very small, this was a fantastic opportunity to meet a lot of established Lasallian educators who know all about running Service Learning, and who were bursting with experience to share on getting out program up and flourishing.

In addition to being a great networking time, it was also a really useful reaffirmation of the importance of the work I've come here to do. I've been getting bogged down at times, so being surrounded by so many others who have made social justice issues their life's work was a welcome boost of energy. While it wasn't really a retreat, there was also some built in time for reflection (one of the focuses of Service-Learning!) and sharing with other members of the workshop, and I had some much-needed chances to simply recharge and recenter myself on this volunteer year. It was in an absolutely beautiful spot, too- right on the hills of a winery. Still- I was so thrilled to see water and actual trees when we first landed that I probably would have thought anything outside of the desert was beautiful. (It's gorgeous here too, but in it's own way).

All things considered, it was a really nice trip that came at a good point in my year. It was a reminder of my passions of undertaking this crazy ride in the first place. I didn't get to see everything I hoped (missing the Golden Gate bridge is my new equivalent of being close to Paris in '08 and never getting there...) but that's okay, because there's still 6.5 months left in my year, and adventure is only a flight, drive, or brisk walk away!

Oh, one last thing: my layover on the way back was in Las Vegas, my first time there too. The airport was packed full of slot machines and old people in wheelchairs. It was so strange. I was really tempted to use one of the machines just to say I'd gambled in Vegas, but I only had four quarters and spent most of the layover eating food, so I didn't. This probably says something about my life.

Always, Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment