Excuses, excuses. I've been trying to write for the past several days, promise, but the lack of a computer has been holding me back. (My keyboard-less dinosaur was finally retired, and I should be getting a laptop from the school sometime next week). Yesterday, I trekked my way downtown to the local library with the intent of getting a card (because free books!) and also using their computers. As with any well-laid plan, though, I ran into hangups. It began to rain, the beginning of a short lived monsoon season, I was there an hour before it opened, and after finally getting inside was turned away from getting a card because I didn't have proof of an El Paso address. It was a disappointing start, but in other ways a huge success: I didn't get lost even once! Exploring and wandering around a new city is one of my favorite things to do in the world, and it's often one of the ways I keep in check my killer ability to end up on the opposite side of town. I did make it across the city, but this time, it was by choice.
The streets are conveniently grid-shaped, and the whole place is sort of on a hill. On an early walk this morning, I found myself up a lot higher than I'd intended, and when I got to a lookout point a ways up, I was pleasantly surprised at being able to pick out exactly where I needed to go. I live right next to the Cathedral, which has a pretty high green tower, and serves as a wonderful landmark wherever I end up. These walks will definitely be something I can get used to- though I should probably wear better walking shoes next time.
I'm playing catch up with this blog post because so much has happened since I landed on Thursday, not even counting the two weeks of LV training in Chicago. Those were inspirational and informative, and mostly just a great way to transition into this intense year of service. There were a group of second year volunteers who shared their stories and life lessons with us newbies, and the whole program was structured so that we were able to become comfortable, make connections, and feel supported in the year ahead.
Another brief rundown of life so far: I'm living with a group of Christian Brothers, four wonderful and hospitable men who've dedicated their lives to teaching in the Lasallian tradition. Along with another volunteer, we'll be a community for the next 10 months, sharing meals, prayer time, and overall life. I get my own room and bathroom, which I've decorated to be a really nice space. Last night the other LV and I went to one of those wine and painting classes, so I have a nice new painting on the wall, along with my Tanzanian khanga as a room divider, and a pretty wall sticker that reads 'Never Stop Exploring'. A downside is that the bathroom pipe leaks, and the shower water smells pretty sulfury...but you know. Living simply, hakuna matata.
Overall, life is good. I'm excited to start officially working tomorrow and finally get into the bulk of the work that sent me here in the first place. I'll be updating more frequently, and getting posts back to being a bit more themed as opposed to an overall recap. Comments are always welcome, and thanks for following along!
No comments:
Post a Comment