Sunrise

Sunrise

20 March 2013

The Reason I've Never Stopped Exploring

HAPPY 150th BIRTHDAY LA SALLE! I miss home incredibly, and it's a shame not being there for the big day, but it’s easier knowing that I have so much to go back to in two months. Here’s just a little segment of why I'm La Salle Proud.

I'm proud of the Mapendo service trip that’s inspired me more than anything else in my entire life, and also for the whole service trips family: Dominican Republic, Habitat for Humanity, Blackfeet Montana and especially for the recent strength of Project Appalachia and the support they've received from the campus community. 

For travel studies to Israel and India that opened my eyes and forced me to never look at the world the same way twice.

For kindly Treetops workers and the B&G salad bar. Late Night La Salle bingo prizes and Xmasoke, the SGA basketball marathon and RSA’s Carnifall.

For charter dinner chocolate covered strawberries that I’m dying to eat at the moment.

For UMAS broken blue vans, trash bash, Officer Kitchen and Brother McGinness knowing everyone’s name.

RAs who throw late night breakfasts and RCs who give the go ahead for zombie apocalypse water balloon fights and planking competitions during a hurricane.

For Miguel front stoops and the downhill dirt trail to the Neumann annex. For bushes full of bees out front of McShain and grassy slopes by the retired Japanese tea house.

For Peers Stress Busters and Speak Up Reach Out, advisors who encourage us to develop new ideas and implement them and see dreams come to life. For Take Back the Night and pictures with Santa, Kissing and Petting and Post Secret connections.

For Honors triple field trips and circle discussions with Dr. Moreau, Basils soul sharing and late night Asia runs. For Happy Fortune and Intermissions mozzarella sticks (bring them back, we’re all begging you!) and for pumpkin spice lattes (guess you can’t have both…).

For basketball fans who fight on for better or worse, for that spot by the window on the second floor of the library and for the Wister lab printers and the Wister lab stairs that are the whole of my exercise regime.

For Explorer Cafes and Diplomat in Residence talks, Olney hall air conditioning that gives strangers something to commiserate about, for the shuttle bus tracker and daily mass at one.

For classes with 7 students and 2 professors where I can speak without fear, for stacks of Collegians and quiet spots in the art museum. For Improv shows and the Masque formal, health fair snacks and Dr. Lane Neubauer. For night classes and the Holroyd roof, for those kids who play guitar on the quad.

For yellow picnic tables. For the N2N closet in UMAS, shorthand from Brother Ralph, mixed CDs from Calcutta, UNO with Raphael, and clean up talks at Face to Face.

For 3 am paper writing delirium and dinners with the Christian Brothers. For the Brothers above all who made this possible, for the social justice legacy of the original La Salle.

For the flat explorer who’s accompanied me here, and for the wonderful friends with whom I’ve skyped and written to and missed so very much.

For blue and gold banners at the service trips auction and for the dance-a-thon and for cannolis in Chestnut Hill while soliciting. For the trolley car diner and the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, Buddhist monks touring campus and the TOMS day without shoes. For strange rules surrounding events on the tennis courts and for soft pretzel sales every two days, trains to center city and presidential election watch parties in the Dan Rodden.

For wind chimes on the door of the multicultural and international center, for candles at the 9/11 remembrance vigil. For t-shirts galore and for RESnet who fixed my Cisco login popup.

Today I’m taking an Adventure in Galway down memory lane, thinking of the life I’ve left behind, but only temporarily. I’ve recently found out I’ve been hired as a Day ONE host for this summer, which means getting the new freshman ready for their time at school, and I hope more than anything that I can help them to see all the things I love about the place on the corner of 20th and Olney.

St. John Baptiste de La Salle, pray for us.
Live Jesus in our hearts, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment